Mahakavi Bharathiyar Higher Secondary School is a free school with classes from Balwadi (Pre-KG) up to 12th Std for poor children from the neighbouring villages.
The children are provided with quality education completely free-of-cost. Even their text books, notebooks and uniforms are provided free of charge. Transport to and from the school is also free for primary school children.
We provide value-based education which enables the children to become self-reliant and live ethical lives. The children are exposed to the teachings of Mahakavi Bharathiyar, Mahatma Gandhi and Swami Vivekananda, who remain our source of inspiration.
Some of the special achievements of this school are:
- Classes 0 to 12
- Student strength: 2058, 50% of them girls
- Free Uniforms, Stationery, Notebooks
- The drop out ratio (those who pass the 12th Standard, out of all Class 0 entrants) is just 1.5%.
- Consistently producing 100% results in 10th Standard and 12th Standard state exams.
- The 10th Standard top mark in school is 487/500.
- Very low dropout rate – 99.57% of students who join KG go on to complete the 12th Standard exam.
- All people passing out of school go on to complete higher studies and become employed.
- Award winning value-based education using the BGV syllabus
- Montessori Education for the KinderGarden in local language
- Serves 40 villages in a radius of 20 Kms
- Completely eradicated Child labor in the villages
- High Quality education leading to increased enrollment YOY resulting in increased literacy in the community
- A future generation of educated youth – 1000 + passed out in the last 11 years
- 328 – studying BE, B.Ed, other Degrees, 396 -Finished BE, B.Ed and other courses, 290- Teachers, Police, in Private firms
- Alumni of Sevalaya School Global citizens placed in international organizations contributing in diverse fields
It is a matter of pride that none of our alumni are unemployed.
Value based education which enables the children to become self-reliant and live ethical lives in the rural area in which we are located.
Ways you can support
Sevalaya needs your support and contribution for the below listed projects which need funding.
Education sponsorship for a child takes care of the following:
|Sl. No||Sponsor Type||One time Contribution||Endowment|
|3||Note books & Stationery||700||8750|
- Education sponsorship for a child per annum is estimated at Rs.8,000/-
- Education endowment for a child, which can provide education permanently for one child is Rs.1,00,000/-
The Annual stationery requirements for our School including A4 Copiers, A3 Copiers, Legal papers for Exams, Graph Sheets, Maps, Attendance Registers, Mark Registers, Work Log registers, Pens, Pencils, Erasers, Staplers & Pins, Geometry Boxes, Toner Clips, etc.
- Estimated cost for Annual Stationery requirement is Rs. 4,50,000 per annum.
- Notebooks requirement for 1970 students costs around Rs.11,50,067 per annum.
Sevalaya’s pre-primary school consists of 170 children. We have trained teachers and all efforts are made to make the classes lively and interesting. A large supply of coloring books, colour pencils, crayons and toys are required which costs Rs. 1 Lakh per annum.
While both the parents of our children are going to work, the young one needs to be taken care of and there is the risk of the elder child being dropped from school.
Sevalaya’s pre-primary school has obliterated this contingency. Sevalaya provides mid-day meals on its own to all the 170 children. We make all efforts to make the classes lively.
Towards this effort, we require 8 sets of Montessori educational kits which will make learning joyful.
- The estimated cost of each kit is Rs. 3,08,482/- and 8 kits would be. 24,67,856/-
There are 1980 students in Sevalaya, where one class consists of minimum 40 students. Hence to cover all the classes and also the community College classes including training area boards we need 100 black boards.
- The estimated cost of 100 black boards is 3 lakhs.
Every year there are lots many students getting admitted in Sevalaya, there are enough furniture for the old students but there is excess needs for the new children.
- The estimated cost for sponsoring furniture is 5 lakhs.
Sevalaya also provides teaching aid for the teachers for their benefits and also to work in full potency towards children.
The proposed amount for this project is 1 lakh.
With a view to widen their horizons, students are taken to different places of cultural, architectural, educational and of other importance.
It is ensured that children are taken to a trip at least a year. Totally 58 trips are planned for our strength of 1980 students per year.
- Each trip is estimated to cost Rs.10000 including conveyance, lodging, entrance fees, food and incidental expenses.
- The project cost for the year is Rs 5,80,000/-.
Annual science exhibition is usually conducted during the month of August. Each year a particular theme is chosen.
All the teachers and students pool all their skills and intellectual resources to make the exhibition a memorable event of knowledge dissemination. Neighborhood schools also participate and put up stalls.
VIPs and other educational experts have commended our efforts. To cite an instance, our Exhibition was on the theme,”Aryabhatta to Annadurai”. The exhibition was visited by none other than MR. Mayilsamy Annadurai of Chandrayan fame. He paid glowing encomiums particularly on the Chandrayan – display by our students.
- The Science Exhibition project costs Rs. 2,00,000/-
In our school, we provide free transportation to primary section (LKG to 5th Standard) students. The reason why we offered free transportation may be explained here. When we started the school in 1988, in this part of the Tiruvallur district child labour was rampant. They were working in brick chambers and other small enterprises. To bring the children to the school, it took a lot of efforts on Sevalaya. One such strategy was to offer free transportation to primary class students.
Currently, 900 students are studying in primary classes. Around 400 of the primary section students need free pickup and drop facility.
- The estimated cost for one school bus 25 lakhs
Presently 1980 children are studying in Sevalaya’s Mahakavi Bharathiyar Higher Secondary School. Sevalaya provides free high quality education to the children. Out of this, 210 Children are in the classes LKG & UKG and 770 children are in the classes between Std I to Std V. Montessori education which is a Play way method is confirmed and accepted as the best way of education throughout the world. To provide a model of human development and an educational approach based on that model, we are emphasizing Montessori education to the poor and destitute children in the local Language.
In our endeavour to constantly improve the infrastructure for the students, we propose to establish Two (2) Play Areas- one each in the primary school section and hostel compound. We have obtained the quotation from Ankidyne who have specific products suiting our organization’s requirements. Further, we have found Ankidyne’s products received well by the children in a neighborhood school.
The total cost of Play Area project for Primary is Rs. 9,70,155/-
Sports Activities have taken a pivotal role in the process of our Education. Many of our students have excelled in various sports and games events in the intra-division, inter Division and inter zonal levels. And have romped home many certificates and prizes.
Track T-shirts, Shoes, sports equipments, Volleyball, Basket ball, indoor games equipments, competitions, food expenses Honorarium for coaches, mementoes Prizes, Long Jump Pit, Basketball Court, Sports Gear & Equipments & nutritional requirements
- The estimated expenses are Rs. 21,39,664/-
Due to lack of proper sports field & courts, they find it difficult competing with City and other “affluent” teams as it brings down their morale at times. Within our moderate means, we have been trying to offset this obstacle. The current basketball court has to be renovated to make it suitable for conducting interschool and district level events.
- The estimated cost for basketball court is Rs 8,31,752/-
- In spite of regular coaching in classes, periodic assignments and personal tutoring by teachers, preparation for the Public Examinations involve intensified efforts.
- There is an element of psychological stress also. The children are provided with extra care and nutritional supplements to cope with the demands.
- Sevalaya solicits your participation in the project of providing nutritional food for 270 10th & 12th standard students at an estimated cost of Rs.13,50,000 per annum.
Sevalaya is sending their staff to training programs on Montessori education, other educational methodologies, etc.
Sevalaya has successfully implemented Montessori Education in Tamil in its primary classes and the new Activity Based Learning (ABL) and Active Learning Methodology (ALM) up to grade 8. These teaching techniques have improved participation from children in the classrooms.
- A year’s Training Programme for the staff is estimated to cost Rs.1.7 Lakhs.
As of now, banks generally pay 8% simple interest for a deposit placed for one year. At present, on average Salary for a teacher per month in our school is arrived as Rs.15000/-. The project cost for Sponsoring a Chair in Sevalaya School would be Rs. 21,60,000/-
We request that as a visionary and esteemed Corporate such as yours to help us in building the corpus for meeting the annual salaries and allowances commitment for each teacher without any hassles.
For this purpose, the amount of Rs. 21,60,000/- donated by the Corporate, would be kept in a bank in the form of Fixed Deposit and the monthly interest earned would be used to meet the salaries bill.
Sponsoring a chair would be a onetime sponsorship, which would take care of one teacher’s salary on a long term basis.
- cost for Sponsoring a Chair in Sevalaya School would be Rs. 21,60,000/-
In general, for each subject we have a minimum we employ 5 teachers from 6th class to higher secondary. As explained in the previous paragraph, the project cost for sponsoring a Subject in Sevalaya School would be Rs. 10,800,000/- (Rs. 1.08 Crores)
Sponsoring a Subject would be a onetime sponsorship, which would take care of five teacher’s salaries for a particular subject, on a long term basis.
As of now, banks generally pay 8% simple interest for a deposit placed for one year. To meet our annual salaries of Rs.1.415 Crores, therefore a corpus of Rs.25 Crores is needed.
We request that as a visionary and esteemed Corporate such as yours to help us in building the corpus for meeting the annual salaries and allowances commitment without any hassles. For this purpose, the amount of Rs. 25 Crores donated by the Corporate would be kept in a bank in the form of Fixed Deposit and the monthly interest earned would be used to meet the salaries bill.
Sponsoring the teacher’s salary corpus would be a onetime sponsorship, which would take care of 84 teacher’s salaries for Sevalaya, on a long term basis.
- Total Corpus for Staff Salaries is Rs.25 Crores
This is all the more meaningful given the rural area in which we are located.
- 5 Community colleges offering free vocational training.
- 9 trades: InDesign (Adobe suite), Tally, Bakery, Nursing Assistant, Health and Wellness, AC and refrigeration technician, Electrical wiring technician, Tailoring and PC skills.
- Batch size : 25 per trade.
- Theory and practical sessions
- Internship and placement on completion
- More than 800 skilled youth have come out from our community colleges.
- Job placement is above 75%
LTI has partnered with Sevalaya to skill unemployed youth in rural Tamilnadu,enabling them to join the workforce and lead a productive life.
Skilling initiative for rural youth at Vadanallur
LTI and Sevalaya teamed up to initiate ‘SevaVidhya’ a skilling initiative to impart basic PC skills, office correspondence and fundamentals of data entry to the village youth at Vadanallur village, about 80 Kms from Chennai. The centre has transformed the lives of the youth in Vadanallur with many of them securing jobs in the local BPO. LTI donated all the technical infrastructure (PCs, monitors, printer, projector and screen) to operate the community college.
Rural Shores Business Services is our partner in providing employment to success students
The skilling initiative is sponsored by LTI since October 2016.
LTI sponsors ‘Technology’ community college at Ambattur
‘Seva Skills’ a ‘Technology’ community college is sponsored by LTI and implemented by Sevalaya. The courses offered at this community college are ‘Tally’ and ‘E-publishing’ and are taught to the unemployed youth, free of cost. The centre is located in the outskirts of Chennai. The duration of each course is 4 months. The students are sent for internships in reputed MNCs and local SMSEs and Sevalaya scouts for job opportunities even as they finish the courses. Subject matter experts deliver guest lectures to the students from time to time. LTI donated all the technical infrastructure (PCs, monitors, printer, projector and screen) to manage the community college.
Our technology partners Jouve India, AcePro India Pvt Ltd, have provided employment to successful E-Publishing students and an assortment of MNCs and SMSEs have employed successful Tally students.
This technology skiling initiative is sponsored in entirety by LTI since March 2017.
Swami Vivekananda library consists of over 20,000 volumes of valuable books including the complete works of Mahathma Gandhi, Swami Vivekananda and Mahakavi Bhrathiyar.
There are also books on various topics like self-improvement, physical and biological science, computer, engineering and many other topics.
The library is open to students of colleges and people in the surrounding villages. The library services are free of charges without any discrimination of caste, creed, religion etc. like all of Sevalaya’s services.
There is a library period for each class, where children are taken to the Library and are facilitated to read age appropriate books. Besides students and staff, over a number of students from nearby colleges and local villages also have free access to our library.
- Open to all students and people in the surrounding villages
- Over 20,000 volumes of valuable books
- A full fledged Librarian
- 30 small writing tables and chairs.
- 25 normal plastic chairs.
- 10 steel racks.
- An addition of 1000 valuable books of our choice.
Need your Support for
Comfortable sitting facility for quiet reading, particularly children during library periods & adequate rack space. In view of the above we have the following needs:
- A full fledged Librarian.
- 30 small writing tables and chairs.
- 25 normal plastic chairs.
- 10 steel racks.
- An addition of 1000 valuable books of our choice.
The estimate of the above costs around Rs. 3,23,500.