The Mahakavi Bharathiyar Higher Secondary School is a free school with classes from Balwadi (Pre-KG) up to 12th Std. for poor children from the neighbouring villages. The children are provided with quality education completely free-of-cost. Even their text books, notebooks and uniforms are provided free of charge. Transport to and from the school is also free for primary school children, while we are awaiting assistance from the government for the older children. We provide value-based education which enables the children to become self-reliant and live ethical lives. The children are exposed to the teachings of Mahakavi Bharathiyar, Mahatma Gandhi and Swami Vivekananda and who remain our source of inspiration.
Some of the special achievements of this school are:
- Consistently producing 100% results in 10th Standard and 12th Standard state exams.
- The 10th Standard top mark in school was a district record of 483/500 and was just 11 marks short of the state top rank.
- Very low dropout rate – 99.57% of students who join KG go on to complete the 12th Standard exam.
- Majority of students pass out with very high percentage. 84% of students in 10th Standard secure 60% and above; 97% of students in 12th Standard secure 60% and above.
- All people passing out of school go on to complete higher studies and become employed.
- We have secured 100% pass results in the 10th Standard Board Examinations for 5 consecutive years – 2002-2003 to 2006-2007, the only school in the district to achieve this distinction.
- We have secured 100% pass results in Agriculture Stream for 4 consecutive years from 2004-2005 in the 12th Standard Board Examinations.
- The Overall pass percentage 2011-2012 year is 99%. We got 100% pass percentage in both 10th and 12th Standard in 2012-2013. We have been getting near 100% results in both 10th and 12th since the past 9 years.
This is all the more meaningful given the rural area in which we are located.
We have an open house programme called Nila Mutram every Saturday when the staff and hostel children spend the evening at the open grounds. The children sing , dance and enact skits and the staff tell the children interesting stories and anecdotes from the lives of Bharathi, Gandhiji and Swamy Vivekananda.
The Swami Vivekananda library consists of over 15000 volumes of valuable books including the complete works of Mahathma Gandhi, Swami Vivkananda and Mahakavi Bhrathiyar. There are also books on various topics like self-improvement, physical and biological science, computer, engineering and many other topics. The library is open to students of colleges and people in the surrounding villages. The library services are free of charges without any discrimination of caste, creed, religion etc. like all of Sevalaya’s services.
Taking the children on tours is an essential part of our programmes and are a means of education and entertainment. Our children are taken on tour to places of educational importance regularly so that each student gets to attend one tour at least every year. Apart from this, periodic tours are arranged for children as well as senior citizens to places of religious and architectural importance. We are grateful to the individuals and institutions who sponsor the tours for the students.